Friday, June 19, 2015

It Is Well

I don't have much of a story today, but I wanted to share something that has taken me a long time to learn and put in practice. A twofold lesson today actually.

The last week has been pretty hard on me, without going into too much detail about the events that have happened in my life I'll tell you that it left me feeling lost and totally out of control. At times it left me on my floor crying out to God and asking him why things were happening that were so opposite to what I wanted that they were completely changing my plans that I had for my life.


At times it felt like I had been drawing my future on a chalkboard, or painting what it will look like, and suddenly someone walked by and just erased everything I've done. I spent all that time creating and carefully putting things in place and now there's nothing to show for it.

And even worse, it left me clueless. How do I start again? What's my next step? God what am I aiming for now?


But in the midst of all this there was still peace. I talked to a good friend of mine while I was bemoaning my troubles and he told me to stop and think about something.

"Stop and think for a moment about God, about his Word. Are they still here? Are they still standing and never changing and will they never let you down?"

"Yes, I know all that." I had replied knowing where he was going with this.

"Then keep your eyes on the goal and on the joy of God that never changes."

And suddenly in the course of the last few days I've received multiple Bible verses, both from friends and that I've looked up myself in my studies that have given me a peace and calm about everything going on. I'd like to share them with you for the times when you're going through your own personal struggles, I hope they help you much as they've helped me.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." ~Jeremiah 29:11

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." ~Psalm 37:4

"The Heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." ~Proverbs 16:9

"And the Lord will guide you continually 
and satisfy your desire in scorched places 
and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water, 
whose waters do not fail." ~Isaiah 58:11

"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." ~Psalm 43: 5

So, first lesson learned here?

It took me a few years to finally learn this and put it in practice..and believe me it's a never ending work in progress. But to fully give everything to God and be able to say "Here, take it all. I don't know what you're doing but I trust in the plans you have." That is absolutely one of the hardest things we as humans can do. And yet that is what we're called to do. And oh how peaceful is our life once we have put all of our faith in knowing that our Lord has our future in his hands!

The second lesson learned here? Despite all of our woes and troubles in this life here on earth we are called continually in the Bible to always sing of God's praises. This week has been a hard one, but I can say that (and not through any strength of my own) I've woken up each morning and sang praises to my God.

As one of the hymns that has been repeatedly going through my head and I've sang off and on says,

"When Peace like a river attendeth my way, 
When sorrows like sea billows roll. 
Whatever my lot, you have taught me to say, 
it is well, it is well with my soul!"


I hope you guys found some hope in this.

God Bless,
     Ryan



1 comment:

Leah Bender said...

So very true Ryan. Although I haven't been there to that extent, I have certainly felt the way you feel now/were feeling and I pray you are able to continue growing in your walk and seeing what His plan is for you.

Post a Comment