Monday, May 9, 2016

You Got My Back?

   We have a rule in the Fire Dept in those situations where we have to go in to a burning building, or even a building that maybe isn't burning anymore and we're doing overhaul but there are still some hot spots to knock down. Two in, Two out. You never go in alone, never without your partner. And your partner doesn't leave your side for anything, you go in together you come out together. That's just the way it is.
   I've been a Volunteer Firefighter for four years now, paid part timer for two, and I'll tell you this much. There is nothing quite like the sensation of walking into a room of a house or garage, and immediately being swallowed up by the smoke and steam. When it happens you can't see your own hand in front of your face, and I mean that in the literal.

   To make sure your partner is still with you communication is key. Constantly tapping his boot in front of you, calling out and letting him know you're still there. Otherwise, we'd have no idea he was there. You simply just can't see him.

As I was sitting there the other day and thinking about some of the runs I've been on and the training we've gone through, and as I remembered the couple times I've felt that feeling. Where you're lost, easily disoriented. But you have to just trust that you're partner is there, even when you can't see him.

Then the thought train turned towards the Bible and our Spiritual fires we fight.
   The World is much like the building we're walking through, there's so much smoke, steam, noise, it's easy to get disoriented. We can't see our partner, but we know he's there. God has given us His written word to give us the go ahead and the call outs letting us know where we're at. Every once in awhile maybe we'll feel him touching our Spirit and giving us that peace and assurance knowing he's at our back.

God follows that rule too, we go in together we're coming out together.

Bible says in Deuteronomy 31:8, "It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."

In Psalms it says, "For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints." (Psalm 37:28a)

Matthew 28:20b, "And Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

and once more in Psalms speaking of how God is always with us and there is no where we can go to get away from his presence says, "Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me." Psalm 139:7-10

This week as we go through the trials and troubles, keep in mind our ever present help that has promised never to leave us.

God Bless, 
     Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment