Monday, December 28, 2015

Parasites

Have you ever sat there and watched a mosquito suck out your blood? Or maybe a tick that locked itself onto your leg? They come quietly (long as the mosquito doesn't buzz next to your ear) and then they latch on you without anyone ever noticing, next thing you know you look down and there is this bloated insect full of your blood. Full of your life.



I was sitting down the other day on my break, reading a book that my mom had gotten me for Christmas, when I was suddenly struck with the realization of how much I enjoy reading and that I couldn't remember the last time I had sat down and really dedicated myself to reading a book. I started thinking about everything I did and where I spend my time. I used to use the excuse that I work a lot, fact of the matter is I work a lot, but I also sit down on my computer every chance I get.

As I sat there I realized that my computer had acted just like that mosquito, got here quietly, didn't cause a fuss, and has slowly sapped hours and hours of my life away.

Hours that I could have used learning a skill, practicing with my guitar, working on my sketching skills, maybe even trying to finish one of the three different books that I play around with.

Today's message is simple and plain. What are the parasites in your life? What are the things that are sucking away at your life without any real thought or to any real end? Maybe You're working your life away living for the dollar, or maybe you're like me and the computer has gotten a little too much time as of late. The Bible has a few different verses about wasting time.



"Making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." Ephesians 5:16-17

"How long will you lie there, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? 
A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, And poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man." Proverbs 6:9-11

"Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." James 4:14

"Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah." Pslam 39:5

Let's be mindful how we are using our time, today and the rest of the time that we have been given.

God Bless,
      Ryan



No comments:

Post a Comment