Monday, October 26, 2015

The Water Faucet

I was visiting with my accountability partner, about a month ago now, and I was bemoaning the fact that I just didn't seem to be coming up with any new blog ideas. In fact I had been feeling pretty dry for a while now with all the different roller coaster things that had been going on in my life. 
  His response to me was pretty simple, but it struck me upside the head a couple days later as I thought about it more. His reply to me was a simple question, "Ryan, how's your Scripture reading been coming?"
I had to sheepishly look around and of course as he's the only one I meet with in our weekly accountability checks I had to look at him and tell him that honestly I hadn't been doing too well with my own daily devotions for quite a  while now.
His reply to me was a story that's used in different forms, and maybe a little overused at times. But it's still an excellent example.
   
When you use a water faucet no one ever thinks about where the water comes from, it's just always there. Always ready to fill an empty glass or a pot for boiling and cooking in. But it's not the faucet itself that makes the water. No no, the faucet is simply the vessel that is used to bring the water to you.
"Ryan, in order for you to be pouring out and being used you gotta have something to pour out first."

Such a simple example, but one that rings so true. I'd run spiritually dry, distracted and busy with the worries of this world and doing my best to provide my friends and people I care for with help that I really couldn't provide because I'd been denying myself the help and refills that I myself needed so badly.

The Bible has a few verses that are relevant to this, I've probably used them before but I'm going to use them again. 

"Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God," Hebrews 6:1

"For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:5-8

"Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they recieved the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." Acts 17:11

Let's not allow ourselves to become dry and unusable, lets renew our passion and continue to dig into the word so we can share with others the truths and lessons we ourselves learn.

God Bless,
    Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment